Search This Cesspool of My Thoughts

Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Lost Myths - Chapter 3: Re-Entry to Roserdale

My fingers danced against the wood grain of the barn, coming to the door where Liam was preparing for out trip. Placing a saddle on a very stern-looking black mare, I lightly shuddered from fear. "What's wrong?" he asked, gently petting the mare's snout.
"First, she doesn't look like she likes me..." I stammered, hand on the back of my neck. "Second, I don't know how to ride a horse." Liam let a hearty chuckle pass his lips, the mare seeming to do the same. I lifted a brow to them, folding my arms over one another. "It's not funny."
"Luna is very sweet," Liam began, taking her reins into his hand. "She'll be gentle with you, I'm sure." The mare's eyes shifted form his to me, still stern but not angry. "I guess we first have to teach you how to ride."
"Ride?!" I yelped, falling back a few steps.
"Okay, maybe not today," he replied, watching my reaction. "But we're still going to Roserdale." Turning to face Luna, he lightly asked, "You're fine with two riders and a few supplies, girl?" Luna nodded, as if she understood. He climbed onto her saddle and adjusted his feet in the stirrups. Reins in his left hand, he extended his right to me. "Well, come on now."
I took his hand and he hoisted me onto the back of the saddle. "Well ladies," Liam began, "let's go to Roserdale." Luna gave a light whinny before she trotted out the barn door. Still fearful of this ride, I swiftly wrapped my arms around Liam's waist.
The hoofbeats of Luna on the dirt road were oddly soothing. I watched as the farmhouse then the barn disappeared into a horizon of the surrounding fields. It was truly peaceful out here, nothing like I was used to at home.
I soon began to question if I would ever see my home again. The Flute of the Reeds constantly reminded me of its presence, it in the satchel hitting my thigh with every step Luna took. It was the doorway here, but was it my exit back home? Until now, I hadn't truly thought of playing it again.
"So you said you started at Roserdale?" Liam's voice snapped me back into reality.
"Outside the north gate. I don't know how far I ran."
"About five miles," he replied.
"Excuse me?" I questioned. There had to be no way I ran that far.
"Well my farm is about five miles from Roserdale. I was on the road walking back when I picked up on the commontion from two guards returning to Roserdale. Overhearing that they had given up a search for a thief this far out, I ran back to see if the farm was fine."
"Which it was, I assume," I added.
"Yes, but I wasn't satisfied with their lack of passion in the pursuit, so...."
"You got your bow," I interrupted, "and hunted me down."
"Something like that. At first it was my duty as the landowner," he stated. "But it then was my duty as a Taslian to find the law-breaker."
I understood his plight and desire of civic duty, yet I soon began to doubt going to Roserdale. If they were still in pursuit of the flute thief, would someone recognize me from earlier? Or worse, would Liam turn me in? I sighed, my grip on him loosening.
Looking at the trees that now lined the path like strong sentries, I allowed those thoughts to stew a little longer. Liam soon realized my silence, pulling the reins tightly, Luna scuffing her hooves as she stopped. "You're worried," he whispered.
"About what?" I coyly asked.
"That I'm going to turn you in."
"Should I be?" Liam sighed, shaking his head at me.
"If I were going to turn you in, I would have done that a long time ago."
I still worried, but not so much about him. "I'm Kylee Sloane, a businesswoman from Lil...."
"No," he interrupted. "You're Kylee Sloane, an old friend from Rotip."
"Rotip? The small village just past the Stalop Mountains?"
"Exactly. Came because you were tired of...."
"My parents. Wanted to start anew."
Liam laughed, as did I due to the irony. "Think we can keep that lie going?" he asked.
"Since it's not so much of a lie, I'm sure of it." I watched as we approached the north gate, fear deep in my gut.
"I'll try not to stop until we're in the gates. Okay Luna, this is all you." As we came up to the gate, a guard nodded at Liam. It was hard to discern emotion from a shiny, silver helmet. Luna continued to prance through the gate in which I swear she turned and snorted directly at the guard.
We stopped at the stables just beyond the gates. It was a fenced in enclosure with a single-room shack outside the fence. I peered around, a few horses still loaded with gear.
"Can you go pay the boarding fee?" Liam asked me, handing over a pouch of coins. Nodding, I took it into my hand. "I'll be inside in a few."
I walked to the door and turned the knob, thoughts still plaguing my mind. We did pass the gate guard, but was it the same guard? I pondered several more thoughts as I crossed to a desk where an older-looking elven man sat with a book lifted to his nose.
"It's five gold for grazing and ten for boarding." I soon placed the voice with the man, the book still raised to his face. I reached in the pouch, the jingle of gold coins against one another a little weird to me. While counting out the coins on the table, Liam came in carrying Luna's gear.
The elven man seem to immediately animate, almost shoving me out of the way. "Liam, my boy! How have you been?" I began to restack the coins that fell from his suddent movements.
"I'm fine, Askar. I'd like you to meet Ky," Liam said, walking over and laying his hands on my shoulders. "Ky is a friend of mine who I haven't seen in ages."
Askar looked at me and smiled. "Stop counting out gold, girl. Any friend of Liam's is a friend of mine. It's on the house."
"It's only Luna. Ky doesn't know how to ride yet. She came from Rotip. I'm going to teach her everything I know." Askar laughed at Liam's little speech. "What?"
Askar settled into a snicker, picking up the gear and setting it in a wooden cubby. "That will be a short lesson for her," he joked. I giggled lightly, a smile finding its way onto my face. "But I can see why you tell her that lie, boy."
I was curious to what the old elf meant by that, but I didn't dwell. I picked up the gold one by one, dropping it into the pounc with a plink. "So what all are you in town for?" Askar asked.
"Achery supplies. We'll be sure to talk when we get back," Liam stated. Askar nodded, waving as he returned to his chair and book while we walked out the door. Closing it behind us, Liam chuckled.
"What's so funny?" I asked.
"Nothing," Liam said. "You need to just relax. Come on." He turned into the bustle of the town, I rushed into the crowds to follow behind him.

No comments:

Post a Comment