Search This Cesspool of My Thoughts

Tuesday, August 28, 2012

A Dark Night - Chapter 6

Chapter 6
Whatever the mysterious woman had put me under made my memories flood forth and calmed me.  When I awoke, I was human again and strapped to a device not dissimilar to an old electric chair.  I groaned and looked around the room, ready to question whomever the first body I would come in contact with.  I noticed the dark shadow from before, and realized the scent of the woman nearby.  “...Release me...,” I attempted to shout.  However my throat was hoarse for it seemed to be a side effect.
“I want to hear your story, Lupe.  But, if you get rowdy again, I have a more…effective method to calm you.”  I groaned at her words, but now I got a better look at my assailant.  She was dressed in a similar outfit to the men who captured us, dark blue jumpsuits and combats boots.  Nonetheless, her outfit had a tinge of silver in it, seemed to shine slightly, and she wore boots with a distinct clicking heel.  It somewhat bothered my ears with every step she took, but I partially thought that to be purposeful.
“And then you’ll let me see Vileb?”  She nodded to my request.  “We are simple third party agents.  We are neither Fang, nor Lupe, nor are we vampire or werewolf.  We have been seeking out the Rebellion for over twenty years now.  Fifty years ago, our home was burnt to the ground by a mysterious organization and between my knowledge and Vileb’s suspicions we believe that the organization was searching for us.  We had escaped, fortuitously, but shortly after we demonstrated similarities to vampires and werewolves, but with some differences.”
She seemed completely entwined in my story.  I writhed in my seat, not comfortable in the slightest with my current situation.  “I’ve told you what I know, now let me see him!”  She smirked, slowly walking the length of the room.
“There’s more however.  Why are you two in this city?  This particular city?  There’ve been Rebellion sightings across the country and higher threat of Fang and Lupe activity elsewhere.”
“That’s the thing,” I chortled.  “The Fangs and the Lupe have organized their gangs so well that the main bases of operations are actually in this city.  They refuse to bring work so close to home in effort to expose themselves.” I smirked at her, her eyes showing great interest in my statements.  “Vileb and I have spent many years tracking and tracing agents and promised humans to these areas.  We haven’t pinpointed the bases as of yet.  However, we believe ourselves to be very close.  We’re so close,” I licked my lips,  “I can taste it….”
“As you say, Lupe,” she spat.
“I am not a Lupe,” my golden eyes felt heated and I knew they were starting to glow.  “I am merely just me.  Neither Lupe nor true werewolf.  I’m a monstrosity beyond their comprehension.  The silver they are so weakened to makes no marks upon me.  My regeneration rate is far superior to even their alphas.  I have not encountered, nor do I ever think I will encounter, one of their agents who is a carbon copy to my disorder.”
“Disorder?” she chimed.  Her voice seemed as if it began to pique of my plight.  “You see this as a disorder of humanity rather than a blessing?”
I nodded solemnly.  “Now granted I would never want to return to the way I was long before.  However I know that I can never be, and shall never be, a normal human.  I will not allow it nor do I truly wish it upon myself.”
“Now if I believed your story… to be a normal werewolf, do you wish that?”  Her question slightly drove an invisible knife into my soul.  No, I truly didn’t wish that either.  The only thing I did wish was not to be judged so quickly upon the eyes that peered so angrily upon her.  I shook my head at her statement.  “Then why call it a disorder?”
“Because, as satisfactory as it is, it is still a disorder.  A difference from the normal.  An anomaly that no one knows of the origin.  Now you have the information you so desperately craved.  Where is he?”  Her eyes had a sudden shift of lacking data.
“We don’t know...”  Her voice was tiny and shallow.  It held no sign of deceit however.
“What do you mean ‘we don’t know’?!”  My eyes pierced her gaze, a snarl causing froth to hit my lips.  “Answers now...”
“Shortly after his interrogation, he escaped the guards.  The same serum we put you under had different effects on him.  He started to climb walls, hiss and run across the ceiling.  It was unlike anything I had ever seen.  Results with the serum with the Fangs, they fell into a short sleep and began to spew all information left and right.  Nonetheless, they never revealed their base or orders but more so weaknesses, strengths, their favorite color...” she chuckled.  My glare made her straighten back up. 
“But with your friend, his story merely matched yours.  When we were not happy with it, they gave him another dose.  That threw him over the deep end, and he broke through our restraints.  The building is on lockdown, so he hasn’t escaped as of yet.”
“You have to help me find him.  If we don’t, he might start to feed...”  My thoughts raced at the ideas of a narrow-minded Vileb.  His instincts would surely get the best of him while in this state.  She seemed to argue not at all and pressed a button on a console which released my chair restraints.
“Honestly, I still do not trust either of you.  But, that’s what the laser restraints are for...”  I felt the grip of the laser-leash grow back on me.  Throughout the whole time I didn’t realize I hadn’t been released from their grasp.
“Did you leave them on Vileb too?” I questioned, rolling my head against my shoulders.
“No, we believed his tongue was a more poignant weapon than himself.  The cuffs are all that remain on him.”  I groaned before trying to recall his scent.  If anyone was to find him, it would have been me.  These dunces had left him loose and sent him wild.  For once, it was me trying to calm him and not the other way around.
“Never thought I’d get to see your beastly side,” I whispered to myself, a faint laugh crossing my lips.  It was no sooner had I closed my eyes than I fell to all fours to shift into one of my own wolven forms.  I was larger than a typical Great Dane,  my fur shone with a slight tinge of the brick red of my hair.  Cream brown markings touched my face and paws in effort to regain some of my humanity.  I’m sure it was a sight for the woman, especially when I turned to speak to her in English.
“You can either stand there in awe or come along for the ride.  Hop on or keep up.”  I was quite frank.  In this form, I often ferried Vileb on my back when we needed a quick getaway.  I wasn’t as agile as he was on rooftops, but I was more so in the shade of forests and swamps.  She crossed to me and uncomfortably climbed upon my back, I shook my body once to scare her.  “Okay...”  I sniffed the air once more.  The trail was cold, but I was sure I would cross it.
The woman began to tap something on her wristband.  “I’m unlocking the doors in this area.”
“And before we’re off...  I’m Kirsta.  It’s only proper that you give me something to call you by.”  I wasn’t about to play horsey for a nameless person who tried to kidnap us.
“I’m Lyv; head of operations for HARM.  If what you say is true, Kirsta, then maybe you and your fanged companion could be a great help to us...”
“Well Lyv, hold on tight, and don’t get sick.”  I shook my head once and began on a sprint through the newly opened door.  Thoughts began to run through my mind of what could be going on with Vileb.  Please, Vileb, I thought, don’t do something stupid....

No comments:

Post a Comment