Search This Cesspool of My Thoughts

Tuesday, August 28, 2012

A Dark Night - Chapter 1


Chapter 1
I watched through the lemon-tinted glass as tourists walked by the stores. So many with grins on their faces, they are unaware of the disasters that would befall them. One couple giggled and moved through the throngs of people as if lost in their own waltz. Another small group carried a cloth doll and placed it in random places, taking pictures of what locations they had been. Pulling my glasses off my face, one woman caught a glimpse of my eyes. She fell aback, startled but then a glance at my companion made her face turn in disgust, then confusion. As I pulled my sunglasses back upon my face she continued on her way that thought plucked from her mind like a fresh strawberry.
Vileb and I had been friends, companions, lovers, fighters, and destroyers for all of our lives, yet not all of those to each other. Our childhood riddled in mystery, we were the sole survivors of an orphanage slaughter. Both so young and fearful of others, we ran away before officials could find, interrogate, and ship us off away from each other.
As we grew older, strange abilities began to infest us. Yet this power did not come without sacrifice. My eyes had shifted from a dark brown to an illuminating gold, forcing me to hide them at all costs. Vileb often was consumed by a vicious hunger that I can satiate for a few weeks but on the fourth he needs the warmth of another.
At first we considered this a curse, for the years went by yet we grew no older than what appeared to be early twenties. Soon we came to discover others, but their abilities slightly different and their plight vastly. We had seen new-found friends torn apart by the differences faced between Vileb and me; however, we continued to hold the pact from after our home’s death and vowed to end the war hidden in shadow.
“Kirsta, you almost ready?” Vileb questioned. I looked to him, a faint smirk splayed on my face. His caramel brown hair cascaded down his shoulders, flicks of auburn dancing throughout. He wore a similar pair of shades to help divert attention from me wearing sunglasses at night. We both were outfitted with dark colored attire, his trenchcoat open to show the black sleeveless he wore.
I adjusted the neck of my crimson jacket, shoving my hands into my pockets. As I watched the full moon begin to rise over many of the skyscrapers, a familiar scent began to waft over my nostrils. “Not yet, old friend. That rat is not quite here yet.”
A Lupe spy had been following Vileb and me for some time now. The Lupe were under suspicion that we were cohorts for a rival organization called the Fangs. Unfortunately for both the Fangs and Lupe, Vileb and I weren’t attempting to help either of them. In fact it was quite the opposite. The scent became poignant and I nodded momentarily to Vileb.
“So the attack will commence tomorrow evening?” I questioned, the act beginning now that the spy was within earshot. Vileb nodded, pulling his gun from within the coat. He began to clean it, smiling. “Aye, my comrades are quite thankful for your help. You will be spared when the enslavement begins. Perhaps you could even be given charge of an area.” The rehearsed lines sounded so smooth, Vileb’s tenor voice like silk.
“I do not think that is necessary. If any of my brood learned of my deceit then I am sure that they would start a rebellion with those remaining and take me out first.” My eyes lowered, a few fingers nervously running through the bangs of my brick red hair. I began to fidget with the braid in which it was fixed. “I only request that freedom that you so generously offered.”
“Done,” replied Vileb. He leaned in the chair at the outdoor cafe at which we had set for this play. I could sense the spy getting closer and closer to our location. Suddenly, I heard a faint click and a light chuckle. Before either Vileb or the spy knew what was going on, I had snatched the gun from Vileb’s lap and shot the kneecap of the spy hiding within the nearby alley. “Grabbing my crotch again?” Vileb snickered.
I rolled my eyes and walked over to the spy; he was whimpering and skittering backwards into the alley. My abilities had surpassed many of the underlings within the Lupe, just as Vileb’s had with most of the Fangs. I leaned in and grabbed the spy by his shoulders, holding him up against the wall a few feet off the ground. My eyes glowed fiercely, claws digging into his shoulders. “Here’s your meal for the week, Vileb. He’s just some human they hired...”
“Oh great, you know how much I hate using you. Sometimes I worry that I’m draining your life away.” He grinned, his canines beginning to elongate and sharpen.
I smiled at Vileb, saying, “And you know that it never seems to matter. It just scars me, only thing that does nowadays... Maybe we should leave him alive, you know, to send a message back to them?”
“I think they’ll come looking for him eventually anyway. I’d rather drain him completely. Make it easier for us in the long run. So you think he was one of the Promised?”
I leaned in to peer at the fear on the man’s face. “I’m sure of it. They’ll say anything to some lanky human to get them to spy on us. Both sides have done it now, and only turned up with a corpse. Think the Rebellion will eventually find us?”
“Sometimes I even wonder if the Rebellion is looking for those like us. Probably would think us spies for the Fangs and Lupe. You know how trusting humans are....”
“Well, this one is.”
Vileb put his lips to the man’s neck. “Was.”

No comments:

Post a Comment