Search This Cesspool of My Thoughts

Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Lost Myths - Chapter 2: Ky and Liam

I could feel the water ripple against me, fear lodged in my mind. Perhaps this wasn't a trick of my imagination. Perhaps this was truly real. Eyes locked on the figure, I now felt powerless and completely lost. "I surrender, archer," I called out to the figure.
"Archer?" the figure questioned. As the person came closer, features began to develop out of the darkness. The streams of light from between the canopy's windows allowed me the visage of a common farmboy. His body was of above-average build, likely from daily farm work. His hair was a mess, a few stray locks falling over his brow.
He still carried the bow loaded and pointed at me. Thoughts racing, I saw the Flute of the Reeds float past me. Snatching it into my hands, I furiously worked on trying to remember the fingerings. I attempted to stand and run, but my pants once again caught my ankles forcing me into the water.
"For a trespasser, you seem to be failing at basic escape tactics," the farmboy spoke, a certain kindness in his confused voice. As I rolled back to sitting on the bank of the pond, he had returned the arrow to his quiver and began his approach towards me. "Here, let me help you." I wasn't too sure about letting this person whom threatened me immediately help me.
"Why should I?" I huffed, my words anger-filled. I nonetheless took his hand where he pulled me to stand. "How can you trust me?"
Without him missing a beat, he replied, "Because I've never been attacked by a half-naked woman before." I then realized my partial nudity, scanning the banks for my shirt. My jeans constantly reminded me of their presence. "And I don't think you purposely ran onto this property."
I was more disturbed by the fact I was sopping wet rather than this ability to ignore the current circumstances. "Let's get you some dry clothes back at the farm," he said. I soon remembered my previous persuers and nodded to him in sound agreement.
The trek to the farm was brief, yet wet and uncomfortable. Walking through fields, even those with set paths, only made me wish I was wearing boots instead of thin sandals. The farmhouse was a log cabin, a single story but quite long. It appeared to house at least a half dozen of people. "Who else lives with you?" I thought aloud.
"No one," he stated. "After dad died in the last war, mom moved to Roserdale. A few farmhands she hired periodically come help with the farm though." I was somewhat in awe of the responsibility someone my age had in this world. I was holding down a job and a home, but taking all that as well as running a farm? Then again, this world was full of magic and mystery so I quickly attached that disclaimer to feel better.
Leading me into one of the many rooms, the farmboy directed me to a dresser. "You can use anything in there. We have extra clothes in case the farmhands need it." I nodded and began to go through the drawers. "So, what is your name?"
"Ky," I responded. My name was something I didn't pride myself on, mostly due to my parents stubbornness to using it after I was born. They were certain I was male, all the way until birth. So sure they didn't even think of an alternate name in case I was female. 'We decided to name you Kylee because of your father's love of the name Kyle,' I remember my mother saying to me. The truth came out recently, in which I promptly moved out and started my current lifestyle.
"I'm Liam," the farmboy replied. "I'll leave you to change then. When you finish, meet me up on the porch." I nodded, hearing the swing of the door close behind him. This was most fortunate, allowing me a way to blend in better with everyone. I quickly found clothes to fit my form, dresing in the guise of a commoner.
I found a decent pair of leathery boots that resembled something Robin Hood would wear. They fit snuggly, as well as lacking the need for my sopping wet socks. Walking across the stained oak floor, I noticed no sound from my scuffling feet down the long, single hall.
Opening a screen door, I stepped onto the porch. It ran the entire length of the house, multiple doors likely leading to other rooms. Liam sat on the wood railing that hugged the porch. "Found everything okay, I suspect?" he stated, turning to face me. I nodded, sitting on the edge of the porch.
"Enjoy living out here?" I asked him, leaning my back against one of the railing's wooden posts.
"Very much so, but I can't help but feel that there is more I'm to do in life." Liam looked to me. "You're not from around here, are you?"
"No, but you knew that didn't you?" I questioned. He nodded in response. "I'm not fully sure how I got here. All has to do with this instrument." I revealed to him the flute, holding it delicately in my hands.
"Ky... Is that the legendary Flute of the Reeds? The one that aided the hero in defeating the evil that attacked Taslei so long ago?"
"Yes," I replied. "At least I believe it is. I thought it to be a replica but it teleported me to Roserdale after I played it. No sooner had I arrived had the Flute of the Reeds appeared missing in the palace shrine. They think I'm a crafty thief who stole it right from under their noses...."
"But you're obviously not," Liam laughed. "You barely escaped me, which makes me wonder about the Roserdale guards...." He stopped for a moment, rubbing the back of his neck. "Well, I'm sold. Maybe you're here to stop some impending doom that hasn't happened yet."
I laughed. "In all the history of Talsei, never has there been a female hero who's defeated the disaster threatening it."
"Well, maybe that is why you're here now. To shake up history a bit," Liam stated. "And maybe I'm to help you prepare for it. Well let's not meander here," he said, standing, "I can at least help you use a bow."
"I don't think you have to but..." I muttered.
"Ky, I told you I feel like this is something more to my life than just being Liam Raine, farmer. Trust me a little more."
"I do trust you," I replied. "Maybe it is because you seem familiar, but I trust you."
"Good," he spoke, smiling. "Meet me over at the barn. We'll take the horses to Roserdale and get supplies." He rushed off behind I could stop him.
"It's me that I don't trust...."

No comments:

Post a Comment