Search This Cesspool of My Thoughts

Tuesday, August 28, 2012

A Dark Night - Chapter 2

Chapter 2
It had been a few days past since the spy was Vileb’s breakfast.  Moving at night was something accustomed to us now.  Neither one of us needed to hide from the sun, but we learned that most of our prey came out while it slept.  As I stretched my arms, a few bones cracked from lying upon the floor.
Vileb was nowhere to be found, and that was not surprising in the dusk.  He generally had gone to scout along the rooftops for whatever hint the Rebellion would leave.  The Rebellion of the Lupe and the Fangs:  Most thought it a myth but we knew it the truth.  We knew that somewhere there were those fighting our cause.  The Lupe and Fangs couldn’t obviously be giving each other the amount of resistance that was apparent.
My nostrils rang with the scent of vermin, a few mice had taken residence in the walls and their scratching was beginning to annoy my ears.  I sighed while rising up from my makeshift bed; my leather jacket balled up on the floor, and continued to stretch while pacing.
The scuffing of my feet drowned out the majority of the noise, and I was thankful for that.  My sense of hearing had been acting up as of late, and I worried that this was another development of our abilities.  Our abilities did this from time to time ever since we were young.  They would grow in such lengths, unstable and uncontrolled.  We would soon train each other to learn how to make these traits obey, something that brought us closer than most of the Lupe or Fangs would ever understand.
I supposed that is why we search for the Rebellion.  These gangs have taken organized crime to levels in which I could not understand.  But Vileb senses a greater purpose in the two.  For some reason, he believes that the current gangs have something to do with why our orphanage was burned to dust.  Why our lives were thrust forward in such a way.
This thought would often dance through my head, only to waver away with the sorrowful memories igniting in my mind.  I growled under my breath, eyes shutting, but yet I could see the exact moment I knew things were not the same.
“Kirsta?”  It was Vileb.  I suppose he sensed some anger in me.
“I’m here, just thinking…”
“Again about home, hrm?”  He came over and placed a hand on my shoulder.  I didn’t remember walking to the window, but as my eyes opened, I found myself staring down at a lone streetlight.  It snapped on and began to illuminate the corner while the sunlight was fading.
“I just wonder sometimes if you were right.  The Lupe, the Fangs, the Rebellion, you, me, for some reason it all seems connected.”  I slid into the sill, letting one leg kick on the outside in the fire escape.  A few people rushed by the sidewalk, their view caught in my glimpse as they passed the alleyway.  “What if one of them burned down home?”
Vileb gave me the same reassuring smirk he always did, crouching to my side.  A single fang pressed against his lower lip as he began to chuckle.  “Then we make them pay as we have always said we would.”  I was not quite as certain about that statement, but it would truly be our way of payback.  We never spoke of it, but we secretly knew that if we ever found out who burned down the orphanage that we would make them suffer.
I glanced up to catch my reflection in the window across from mine.  My glowing eyes pierced into my own soul, and I groaned as I spun around and got up from the window.  “I’m a monster…” I muttered, reaching down to grab my leather jacket.  Hastily shoving it on my body, I soon felt a cool hand upon my shoulder.
“But you’re my monster!” Vileb joked, that always being reassurance.  I suppose our lives together had made it so it was always easy for him to calm me, as it was easy for me to sedate his hunger.  We both were truly monsters, I the beauty and the beast while him the gentleman and Death.  Our abilities aligned us close to the feuding parties, but our past separated us deftly.
The Fangs saw me as a monster who had brainwashed one of their brethren to aiding me in my cause.  The Lupe saw Vileb as a tyrant who had trained me to obey my master.  Neither one could honestly see the teamwork that we had developed, nor did we truly want them to know.
“Our agenda for this evening?” I asked, pulling my sunglasses from my pocket and pushing them to my face.  I glanced back to the window.  Golden eyes gone; out of sight and out of mind.
“We’re searching again for some link to the Rebellion.  Hopefully we can find them and then we can use our abilities to aid their cause.”  Vileb took one concerning glance at me, but before he opened his mouth to say something I rose my hand.  I knew another confirming word would come from his mouth but I needed it not.  The task was set and the thought of my eyes no longer bothered me.
“Let’s so see if we can pull any leads.”  I hopped back out to the fire escape from before, only to slam directly into something solid.  Standing before me was a burly man about six foot even, both tall and wide.  He glared at me as I retreated back into the abandoned apartment.  Vileb rushed to my side as I began to snarl.
“My colleagues would like a word with you…creatures.”  The word boiled my blood more, for I could feel myself losing control.  “It is about the agent you killed the night before, Fang.”  His eyes darted to Vileb with the last statement.  I immediately sniffed the air.
“He’s no Lupe…” I whispered to Vileb.
“Then what exactly is he?” Vileb responded, holding me by the shoulders.  He knew if he let me go I would attempt to rip the man’s limbs off.
“I hereby place the two of you under arrest by the Human Association of Relocating Menaces.  Call your mutt off, Fang, or I will have to use force.”

No comments:

Post a Comment